Sunday, April 14, 2024
HomeWorldMaldives says cannot reveal agreement with India on withdrawal of troops: Report

Maldives says cannot reveal agreement with India on withdrawal of troops: Report


As the method of changing Indian navy personnel within the Maldives will get underway, the island nation’s authorities has said that it’s going to not reveal the main points of the agreement between Male and New Delhi on the troops’ withdrawal, in accordance with a report in Maldivian media.

India began withdrawing its personnel with the primary batch of 25 troopers on March 12, on the request of the Mohamed Muizzu authorities. The second group is anticipated to go away the nation by April 10.

A Maldivian Foreign Ministry official, who spoke to Mihaaru News, stated the main points of the deal cannot be disclosed.

“However, the Ministry’s response stated that they are unable to disclose a copy of the agreement and maintained that this is done in conformity with Article 29 of the Right to Information Act,” a information portal quoted the Ministry officers.

The report additionally cited that the previous Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih’s administration had additionally withheld info on the defence agreements with India.

Muizzu, seen as a pro-China chief, had earlier affirmed that no Indian navy personnel, not even these in civilian clothes, would be present in his country after May 10.

Muizzu, who got here to energy in November final 12 months, had asserted he would be sure that the Maldives stay “free” of any “foreign military presence” to protect its independence and sovereignty. Subsequently, in January this 12 months, he requested India to withdraw the troops.

An agreement was signed in February between the 2 nations on this regard.

Ties between India and the Maldives have been below pressure since Muizzu turned the President.

Published On:

Mar 28, 2024



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular